SHARJAH (UAE): Sunday, December 18: Team Abu Dhabi’s Shaun Torrente laid down the gauntlet to title rivals Jonas Andersson and Thani Al-Qemzi by setting the fastest time in Sunday morning’s free practice session for the Road to Sharjah Grand Prix of the Middle East.
With ‘Showdown Sunday’ looming in the afternoon, the American ran for 18 laps in the early morning stint on Khaled Lagoon and his best lap of 47.73sec was 0.616 seconds quicker than the best run set by Andersson. China CTIC Team’s Philippe Chiappe was third quickest and Al-Qemzi was fourth.
All 18 boats took to the water in advance of the late morning qualifying session, with Team Sweden’s Kalle Viippo the only driver to struggle with technical issues and not be able to post a lap at full racing speed.
2022 Road to Sharjah Grand Prix of Sharjah – free practice result (Sunday):
1. Shaun Torrente (USA) Team Abu Dhabi 47.76sec
2. Jonas Andersson (SWE) Team Sweden 48.35sec
3. Phillipe Chiappe (FRA) China CTIC Team 48.37sec
4. Thani Al-Qemzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi 48.39sec
5. Sami Selio (FIN) Sharjah Team 48.46sec
6. Ferdinand Zandbergen (NLD) Sharjah Team 48.49sec
7. Marit Strømøy (NOR) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 48.81sec
8. Peter Morin (FRA) China CTIC Team 49.58sec
9. Bartek Marszalek (POL) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 50.18sec
10. Alberto Comparato (ITA) Comparato F1 51.43sec
11. Duarte Benavente (POR) F1 Atlantic Team 51.91sec
12. Filip Roms (FIN) Gillman Racing 52.17sec
13. Alec Weckström (FIN) Gillman Racing 52.56sec
14. Cédric Deguisne (FRA) Maverick Racing 53.80sec
15.Ben Jelf (GBR) F1 Atlantic Team 54.72sec
16. Alexandre Bourgeot (FRA) Maverick Racing 54.92sec
17. Paulo Longhi (ITA) Comparato F1 55.93sec
18. Kalle Viippo (FIN) Team Sweden 1min 27.87sec