SHARJAH (UAE): Thursday, December 15: The China CTIC Team duo of Philippe Chiappe and Peter Morin set the fastest laps of 46.77sec and 47.13sec in the extra free practice session that got the competitive on-water action underway at the Road to Sharjah Grand Prix of Sharjah on Thursday morning.
Used as a basic shakedown of the boats by the teams, lap times are largely irrelevant in the larger scale of things but Bartek Marszalek managed to set the third quickest time and Sharjah Team’s Samio Selio was tied with defending World Champion Jonas Andersson in fourth. Team Abu Dhabi’s series-leading duo of Shaun Torrente and Thani Al-Qemzi were less than a second off Chiappe’s pace in seventh and sixth positions.
Nine teams and 18 boats are entered for the weekend’s racing double-header on Khaled Lagoon and 16 of those took to the water in the session, with young Briton Ben Jelf missing the stint and still waiting to get his first ever taste of GP competition with the F1 Atlantic Team after he and Duarte Benavente didn’t start.
2022 Road to Sharjah Grand Prix of Sharjah – extra free practice result (Thursday):
1. Phillipe Chiappe (FRA) China CTIC Team 46.77sec
2. Peter Morin (FRA) China CTIC Team 47.13sec
3. Bartek Marszalek (POL) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 47.23sec
4. Sami Selio (FIN) Sharjah Team 47.34sec
4. Jonas Andersson (SWE) Team Sweden 47.34sec
6. Thani Al-Qemzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi 47.55sec
7. Shaun Torrente (USA) Team Abu Dhabi 47.58sec
8. Kalle Viippo (FIN) Team Sweden 47.94sec
9. Alberto Comparato (ITA) Comparato F1 48.36sec
10. Ferdinand Zandbergen (NLD) Sharjah Team 48.54sec
11. Alexandre Bourgeot (FRA) Maverick Racing 49.44sec
12. Marit Strømøy (NOR) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 50.12sec
13. Alec Weckström (FIN) Gillman Racing 50.22sec
14. Cédric Deguisne (FRA) Maverick Racing 50.52sec
15. Filip Roms (FIN) Gillman Racing 52.45sec
16. Paulo Longhi (ITA) Comparato F1 1min 01.02sec
Duarte Benavente (POR) F1 Atlantic Team DNS
Ben Jelf (GBR) F1 Atlantic Team DNS